FLAVOUR OF THE MONTH
Turmeric (Curcuma longa), the bright yellow of the spice rainbow, is a powerful medicine that has long been used in the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine as an anti-inflammatory agent to treat a wide variety of conditions, including flatulence, jaundice, menstrual difficulties, bloody urine, hemorrhage, toothache, bruises, chest pain, and colic
Turmeric has a peppery, warm and bitter flavor and a mild fragrance slightly reminiscent of orange and ginger, and while it is best known as one of the ingredients used to make curry, it also gives ballpark mustard its bright yellow color.
Turmeric comes from the root of the Curcuma longa plant and has a tough brown skin and a deep orange flesh. Turmeric has long been used as a powerful anti-inflammatory in both the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine. Turmeric was traditionally called "Indian saffron" because of its deep yellow-orange color and has been used throughout history as a condiment, healing remedy and textile dye.
Aloo Gobi Curry (Potato & Cauliflower)
By using this months Spice Tumeric to this curry, it adds the golden yellow colour and that taste of a peppery, warm and bitter flavor and a mild fragrance slightly reminiscent of orange and ginger.
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 3 potatoes washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 medium onion
- Half a tin of tomatoes or fresh
- 1-teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 –teaspoon garam masala
- Salt or to taste
- 1-teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- Coriander to garnish
- Peel and quarter potatoes, chop cauliflower wash and leave in a bowl of water.
- Heat a medium sized pot and add oil to heat.
- Peel and slice onion finely and brown in pan add in low medium heat, add garlic and ginger paste, brown off then add tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder, garam masala, green chillies and simmer for 2-3 minutes, mixing well.
- Cook the masala until the oil leaves the masala , add water only if the mixture sticks to the pan
- Add in potatoes stir to absorb and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add cauliflower and stir well and cook.
- Add water occasionally if needed and cook until potatoes are well done.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with boiled rice, chapatti or naan bread!!